EdComs is the UK’s largest communications and marketing agency specialising in education.
We work closely with our clients to meet their objectives and develop award winning educational programmes, ensuring they support the educational and learning community, fitting appropriate areas of the curriculum. Programmes might include a website, films, games, apps, downloadable classroom materials, printed collateral or in-school workshops – or all of these in combination.
The Head of Design is responsible for the creative quality of all projects, ensuring the integrity of the design is adhered to throughout subsequent design and development processes. You will be responsible for leading a small design team and should be comfortable mentoring and critiquing both colleagues and any external agencies and designers working on our projects.
The Head of Design will assess audience needs and balance these with the business requirements of the client to deliver exciting and innovative creative that works for all.
Duties and responsibilities
You must be able to demonstrate a passion for design – capable of solving problems rather than pointing out inconsistences. Enthusing those you interact with about the brands we work with is critical to the positions success. Decisions are made quickly and the leeway to take creative risk is afforded to those with a bold educational vision.
In addition to creating and interpreting design briefs and executing them to a high standard, this role has an element of people management – working to develop junior members of the design team and help foster an expectation of high quality design throughout the company.
Key responsibility areas
Create and interpret design briefs
- Take design briefs from both clients and Internal stakeholders at EdComs, helping to shape briefs and advising on creative treatments based upon sound and current design trends, specifically in relation to learning experiences
- Develop briefs into understandable direction for the design team
- Contribute to business development activity and pitches
- Develop high quality visuals for pitch and live projects
- Create design treatments to meet client briefs and see through to delivery
- Give direction to more junior team members to maintain high creative output
- Ensure design integrity is maintained through entire development cycle
- Maintain an interest in current design principles and share with other members of the team
- Take a keen interest in developing the Digital offer and helping to communicate this internally and externally
- Responsive digital design, with a strong appreciation for typography, layout and a great eye for detail.
- Ability to develop a brief from initial concept to final visual
- Create working prototypes to communicate and bring to life ideas in terms of animations and interaction (e.g. via InVision).
- Ensuring digital assets and templates are fit for handover to developers. You will ensure the correct elements are laid out to create visual impact, having awareness of the medium and any technical restrictions.
- Comprehensive understanding of UX design principles to ensure usability testing and user flows are effective for a first-class user experience.
- Ability to produce innovative creative and digital ideas and to effectively visualise concepts across all platforms including web, tablet, mobile, social, apps and games.
- Produce work that is right first time – paying attention to detail and ensuring that templates are ready for build, picking up mistakes along the way and correcting them to ensure any web guidelines and specifications are adhered to. Ensuring templates are prepared in such a manner that developers can see the logic and easily locate elements, e.g. ensuring all layers are named or labelled correctly.
- Effectively presenting creative work to internal teams, clients and on pitches.
- Working collaboratively with other departments within multi-disciplinary teams, with differing levels of creative and digital understanding.
- Working to brief and ensuring your designs are able to be delivered within the budget/timeframes specified.
- Lead on design management issues for projects which you are responsible
- Brief and manage workloads of those who report to you
- Manage day to day workload of team members for projects which you are responsible
- Liaise with internal project manager to ensure workload clashes are avoided and the right skill sets are available to help deliver projects
- Work with internal project manager to ensure projects that you are responsible for are delivered on time and within budget
- Recruit, train and develop team members and identify career development paths
- Line manage and motivate team to meet business demands
Internal and external relationships
- Ensure frequent, daily contact is made with design team and internal project managers
- Daily contact with Chief Strategy Officer and Head of Digital
- Manage freelance relationships where required
- Frequent face to face contact with clients
- Regular contact with suppliers
- Frequent contact with Account Directors/Managers
- High standard of design understanding and execution is demonstrated at all times
- The importance of good design is communicated to the team and wider company as part of all work
- Development of team with regard to design can be demonstrated
- Projects are delivered within budget and to agreed timeframes. Issues preventing projects to be delivered as agreed are raised with Chief Strategy Officer as appropriate
- Budgeting and billing are accurate and timely, with a clear understanding of the company’s profitability
- Maintain a professional attitude and demeanor at all times
- Make an identifiable contribution to the team’s income stream
- Staff are appraised annually and training/development plans agreed and implemented
- Knowledge of and interest in design standards is demonstrated to clients and colleagues, with particular notice given towards educational/learning design trends
- Meetings and presentations are well planned and executed professionally
- Communication with colleagues and clients is professionally presented and well written
- Clients’ ad hoc feedback and input into 360 degree reviews is positive